Curtain Call

    A few years ago, a slight obsession started brewing. It happened gradually, so much so, it took me a while to realize that it always lingered in the back of my mind as I dreamed of redecorating E's and my bedroom.

    It started when this space was featured in Domino...

    Then this one came along...


    As I glanced at this photo and thought on the other, I began to entertain the idea of curtaining off our bed.


    There was something so appealing about imagining the curtains drawn, enclosing us in a cloth cocoon where we could shut out the world and escape the daily stresses of life.


    Envisioning the cocoon almost felt like picturing a grown-up version of a fort, a thing we've made a time or two on lazy Saturday afternoons- sheets strung above our bed- transforming the space into a secret hideaway perfect for napping, laughing and feeling a bit like kids.

    I could also picture the curtains pulled back, exposing the bed to the rest of the room, yet still creating a cozy nook where evening reading and breakfast in bed would be equally welcomed.



    Open. Closed.

    Cozy nook. Secret fort.


    I decided that whenever I next revamped our bedroom, perhaps even when we moved to another house, this idea was one I would keep at the forefront of my mind.

    And, with that, a small obsession was born.


    My collection of images has grown slowly, gradually, and, over the past few months, as I've contemplated a new and future home for E and I, a good number of images have joined the collection.


    The images I've saved aren't all exactly like the ones that first ignited my infatuation.


    Some are looser interpretations, cordoning off an entire section of the room, and others envelop the bed even more with the addition of canopies above.


    While the collection differs in style, some suiting us more than others, the images are all saved to serve as my reminder.


    Undoubtedly like many of you, what I fancy in design waxes and wanes at whim. Sometimes it changes with the seasons, sometimes it changes only as earth completes an orbit of the sun, and sometimes what I fancy lingers much longer.


    When the time comes for me to finally decorate a new space for us, where will my interest lie?


    Will I turn to these images for inspiration or will I find my final inspiration somewhere else?

    Tom Scheerer

    That question will surely not be answered until a new space is actually tangible in our lives...

    And, until then, I am quite content with secret forts built on lazy Saturday afternoons.
    Source URL: http://policfashion2011.blogspot.com/2009/01/curtain-call.html
    Visit Police Fashion for daily updated images of art collection